Visit to the Coromandel!!

A couple of weeks ago, we went to visit a family we know that recently (or not!) moved down to Tapu, near Thames. They have about 32 1/2 acres of land, and are aiming to live off the land. They have a river (a small one), bush, land, and a barn that they're living in right now. 

I wish I could post some photos of the barn, but I don't think we have many, if any. 

When we arrived at about morning tea time, and we were shown around the barn, although I missed the 'Grand Tour', because I went to water the cow with Esther. We got water from the stream/river, and had to do two trips with buckets. Our boots became pretty muddy with clay (how do I say that!?) while we were there, because they have a lot of clay there. 

We had lunch, and then some of us walked to the swing they have, that swings off a sort-of cliff. Jarrod was convinced to have a try, (that swing is not what we expected at all!), and then I had a go from the ground, then I started from higher, and then I started off the mounting block. (I don't really know what to call it!) One of the kids mentioned that I was the easiest to convince to start off the mounting block! The swing was definitely one of the highlights of our visit there. I enjoyed it a lot!

When we got back to the barn, I looked through their library, and borrowed a couple of books. We enjoyed the swing that was inside the barn - in the dining room! It was hanging from the roof. 

Downstairs in the barn, there is the dining room, the library, (the library is just a couple of bookcases pushed together to create a room.), the lounge, the wetback stove, the laundry, the bathroom, and the kitchen. I'm sure there are more things, but I can't remember now. :) Upstairs you go straight into the girl's room, which actually has a little room off it, the parent's room, and then you go up a small step ladder into the roof, where the girls play, and then it has half partitioned off by a sheet where the boys sleep. To prevent the boys tramping through the girl's room when they go into their room, they hung a rope from the roof with a couple of knots through a trapdoor, which the boys can climb into their room. The rope hangs down into the dining room. 

Esther, Hannah, Monique and I got permission to watch 'Come What May' in the sleep-out, and we were interrupted by one of the kids - we had wanted to try to milk the cow, and now was the best time to milk. So a couple of us were able to get a couple of squirts, and then we went back to watch the rest of the movie, before we had dinner. After dinner, we had worship, and had to leave, in order to get back home after 10 o'clock, I think. Driving along country roads, some right next to water, made us slow down, especially in the dark. 

Before I forget to tell you, in order to get to the barn, you have to drive through the ford across the river. The river/stream flows over the concrete slab, and so Mum was like, "Ahh! I don't want to drive through this!" And then when we were leaving, the dad agreed to drive through the ford for us, since it was dark, and he would have a better idea of where the ford was. Mum was just waiting to be on dry land, when all of a sudden the driver stopped, and and looked back, seeing if we were enjoying ourselves. Most of us were laughing, and Mum joined in somewhat nervously. When we were finally on dry land, Mum gladly took over the driving!

I hope you all enjoy reading this.
Danielle:)

Comments

  1. i really enjoyed it too.
    I'm looking forward to going next time and staying the night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts